Monday, September 28, 2009

Great Discipline Experiment Redux (GDE Redux )


Thanks to Susan Piver, who inspired me to think about this, the GDE Redux. "The theme of this GDE Redux is the same as the last one: Take all the things you say you should do everyday (or most days) and do them. Now, these things aren’t earth shattering. They’re simple and should be within my ability to accomplish. Write. Meditate. Study. Exercise. Drink water. Take vitamins. It’s so embarrassing how simple those things sound." (Susan Piver)  

So, I decided to put my schedule on paper. Although, I seem to follow a schedule daily, it's been more difficult now that my daughter arrived home from being in Spain all last year. She is living with us for her last semester. It's been interesting, at best, and has really thrown my productivity out the window. I think writing out my schedule will help make me more disciplined.  Also, when I decided to transform my career, part of the reason was to allow the flexibility to incorporate all of the things in my life that I love to do.

So, I am writing my schedule here: (it's a bit more flexible because of my marathon training, but this is how it works for me) 
  • *4-10 am train (run, bike, cross train for marathon, ironman, 1/2 marathon) (2 hours of working out) 
  • *** 6-7:30 am meditate, writing exercise 
  • * 10:30-12:30 pm spend quality time with Leon (my hubby), includes lunch 
  • * 2:00-6:00 pm work (book, consulting, writing)  
  • *** 3:00-4:30 pm write  
  • *** 4:30-5:00 pm meditate  
  • *** 2:00-6:00 pm read and rest (1 hr+ within that timeframe)
  • *** 4:00-9:00 pm playtime  
*note: each day is different depending on when my daughter wants to spend time with me, so this isn't as concrete as a typical schedule.  

The key for me is to continue to incorporate writing and mediation in my routine.  
It helps and thanks for the motivation.

No comments: