Tuesday, June 22, 2010

People who tell lies really disappoint me~Laura Wodach

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." -- Anne Frank
Why do we lie?
When I was little I use to have discussions with my best friend about lies. We would debate about whether a white lie was really a lie because a white lie, she would tell me, isn't really a lie because it is so small. This conversation would come up every so often, when we were playing in our yard or walking to school. We would have some heated discussions about telling lies.  As I got older, I realized, from telling a white lie how a small cloud hangs over my head. And then all of the sudden before I knew it, stories upon stories were built on that original small little lie and now I have dug a deep hole that I knew, if I didn't just "tell the truth" I would sink deeper and deeper into it.

There is real no benefit in telling a lie, even a little white lie.  The truth may hurt someone or even you; however, the lie ends up hurting not only someone but many people, so in the end the truth will make you feel free because you said it.  I think, sometimes we try to control how people will feel, we lie because we don't want to hurt anyone.  We want everyone to be happy, content without fear and sadness; however, sadness and fear build because of all the lies.  We all have told lies and I'm sure they were dandies that never were turned into truths.  These lies are hidden deep in our psychi, hidden away,  we think, so that no one can ever hear the truths.  Maybe it's time to come out with it.  It's time to do some soul searching and remember those lies once told many moons ago or even yesterday. Contemplate the past, let the lies go and tell the truths out loud.  It's amazing how freeing this is, just like these beautiful pictures of mountains and landscapes.  Look at these pictures; how freeing it is to see the beauty.  That is what it is like to tell truths.

I try, each day, to be honest with myself and with others.  I work hard at eliminating white lies, so the white lies aren't there to make bigger lies.  I consciously say to myself, is this a white lie? If it is, I'm not going to tell it. I'm going to be honest with myself and tell the truth today.



Photos courtesy of Peggy Fitzstephens

1 comment:

Patoosak said...

It's our sinful nature to sin, hence lie. However, with the help of the Lord, we can overcome many obstacles. We also learn from past experiences that even white lies can hurt. And like you said, white lies usually get bigger and bigger as you try to cover up. Yes, we learn from our mistakes. Should I say, we learn what not to do. Ultimately, a white lie IS a lie no matter how small.
*I have been enjoying all your posts:)