Monday, June 14, 2010

You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present. Jan Glidewell

Have you ever heard the quote, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life"?

Yes, it's very true.  Every waking moment you make a decision to go down the same path, thoughts, feelings and actions or to start fresh and new.  This is how I see life right now.

Knowing that yesterday and the days before are beautiful memories, tough lessons, and rote actions & deeds, and this second, this very second, while standing, sitting and reading this, I have a choice to take a different path, make a different decision, move in another direction.

It is truly an up-lifting experience just realizing this, and then taking the step toward the new fearlessness, acceptance and strength.  I can do it!  Truly, this is the gift that God has given me.  We don't always receive that gift, freely, accepting... with open arms.  It's time to be okay and receive all the bounties of life that are available.  It's time to not always give, but receive as well.  That is what I am doing when I change my mindset and accept something new and different.

It's easy enough to think about and I know thinking about it, the awareness of it is the first step toward being okay with it.

I know that the smallest speck of thought can really transform into something more open and fresh;  it truly does not have to be a large mountain to climb.  One small shift in thought and perception can allow me to look back days later and really see the change; appreciating what was and what is now.  


You know, it is uncomfortable, especially at first, as long as I lift the control of it and let it be, just natural, it arrives and manifests in ways I would have never expected.  It becomes so natural.  Appreciation of life goes a long way toward making that change.


So come with me on this ride, check yourself in and take that small step, right now!  Pick something small and see where it takes you.

2 comments:

Christine Robinson said...

Wise words. We forget about the options of release, surrender, and forget we're always in forward motion.

Excellent personal reminder as I grapple with issues: overthinking some, tightly gripping the steering wheel or letting something suck me in when I SHOULD have a grip!

Small steps... what time is check-in?

Christine

Just_because_today said...

so glad you are writing on your blog again!!! how did I miss this?
Love this post, Kim. Love it