Sunday, June 20, 2010

We all choke. You're not human if you haven't~Curtis Strange

The formula for water is H2O. Is the formula for an ice cube H2O squared~Lily Tomlin
A half shy, but maybe not!
Have you ever had that one goal in your life, that has been a goal for ever.  You keep saying you have this "one" goal.  You say it, again and again in conversation; however, it just keeps sitting there, no accomplishments towards the goal (you think anyway).  The goal is there! Others do it.  Why do I keep passing by the opportunity?  Maybe the goal is too big to reach.  That could be true; why not take it one step at a time?

I had a small epiphany this weekend when running the half marathon leg in the half Ironman with my brother.  A lot of first times for me... first time running a half Ironman relay, first time running with my brother (who is a phenomenal swimmer and biker, very close to elite status), first time meeting my brothers brother in-law (who is also very close to elite status in his race) and first time my parents saw me run one of my races.  All great stuff!!! Great stuff. 
We were all chatting about our future goals, two of us want to complete an Ironman in our lifetime, we both even said in 2011; and one of us wants to reach elite status.  All doable goals, big goals, as long as we set our minds to doing it, we will.  

I ask myself, how long ago did we set these goals? Why haven't we reached them yet?

Maybe it's because we have some personal fears and barriers set in our minds that keep us from heading towards those goals; like, saying how much I don't like ab-work or sprints. Did you know that ab-work is critical to a good race? Having a strong core will alleviate stresses in your body during the race and overcompensate for areas in your body that get tired or strained during a race. Or doing sprints.  Sprint workouts, challenges all kinds of muscles, plus helps agility & speed and retrains your brain to work differently during a race. Doing sprints during training will generate that one minute difference in time. The time you've been trying to achieve forever. 

As we completed our tri relay we found that it worked out quite well and we started talking about doing an Ironman relay. Ah, ha...epiphany! Why can't we take our goal and break it up smaller, try this first and see how it goes. Each one of us have a unique skill for one of the three sports in the Ironman, my brother swim, my new friend in bike and I in the run. We also have goals to have a better time and if we work together as a team, we may reach our time goals within the Ironman relay. I think we have something here, why not work as a team?  It might encourage us each to work harder and be stronger.  Heck I learned that just yesterday, when I was waiting in the transition area for my brother to come in on the bike.  I kept saying how I want to run fast because I don't want to disappoint my brother who is anxious to get a good time.  How if I trained properly I might even get that "personal best time" I've been working toward in my half marathon.   Plus, I will have completed a partial lead toward my big goal which is to complete that Ironman in my lifetime.

That goal that you have, my advise... t
ake it slow, chip away at it; a little at a time.  Why not?  Be open and aware. See your fears and roadblocks in front of you.  Conquer each fear, one at a time.  It may take some doing and time, be patient.  Before you know it, you are closer to that one goal.  You will reach that finish line... at last!


***The thought pattern characteristic of the right brain lends itself to the formation of original ideas, insights, discoveries. We might describe it as the kind of thought prevalent in early childhood, when everything is new and everything has meaning. If you have ever walked along a beach and suddenly stopped to pick up a piece of driftwood because it looked to you like a leaping impala or a troll, you know the feeling of pleasure that comes from the sudden recognition of a form. Your Design mind (right brain) has perceived connections and had made a pattern of meaning. It takes logical, rational acts and facts of the world you know, the snippets of your experience, the bits and pieces of your language capabilities, and perceives connections, patterns, and relationships in them.~
Gabriele Lusser Rico

1 comment:

Brooke said...

a little late to the game, just wanted to say that i love this post. its a great idea really. my immediate goal (within the next year) is to run a marathon, so an iron man sounds so intimidating. having 2 built in encouragers is perfect to get you where you want to be