Thursday, August 5, 2010

All serious daring starts from within.~Joan Baez

Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they're supposed to help you discover who you are.~Bernice Johnson Reagon
I love traveling to different places, it makes me open my mind and change perspective on what I'm doing in my life.  I've been on a road trip driving cross-country these past couple of weeks and I find myself in unfamiliar territory.  This trip was a spur-of-the-moment thing.  I wasn't going to go, however, my daughter needed to head to the east coast and I will do everything in my power to support her in her lives endeavors.  So, off we went.  My daughter and I have an incredible relationship, sometimes I have to pinch myself because I cannot believe how well we get a long.  I appreciate this gift every day.  Don't get me wrong, there are times that we have our disagreements and I really need to keep an open mind, however, those are minor compared to the overarching picture.

We've had so much fun on our trip, we stopped and walked around Cleveland and had a panini sandwich, with layers of everything all in one sandwich.  It was pretty good!  Touring Hershey Park, we made our own chocolate bars and of course, we stopped to visit family in the quaint little place called Shephardstown in West Virginia and stopped in Boston to get a glimpse of Paul Revere's home.  So far we've traveled the states of IL, IN, OH, WV, PA, MD, NY, VA, RI, CT, MA, NH, ME.  Visiting a friends family in New Brunswick Canada for the first time is exciting. Canada is beautiful, with rolling hills, lakes, rivers and oceanfront all wrapped up into one.  The many shades of green capped trees layered on the landscape.  I can see why Anne of Greene Gables loved it here, there's something magical about it.

It's been a fun adventure and stories that we can talk about.  All these wonderful memories created with my daughter who is slowly spreading her wings.  Her experiences, much different than my own.  Each of us take a journey, sometimes alone, sometimes with someone or groups of people; the choice, it's our own. The most pivotal times that we stay alive, keep our minds open to the new, and allow ourselves to reach, stretch and grow.  These are the times of our lives to remember, hold close to us.  It keeps us alive!

1 comment:

Frankie, the Walk 'N Roll Dog said...

Looking forward to meeting you in September. And I can very much relate to the daughter/mother relationship as I have that amazing gift with my mom too. She is my biggest fan and supporter. Such a gift you are giving your daughter to help spread her wings.

Barbara Techel