Sunday, October 3, 2010

It is what it is, but it can change!

Houston - we have a problem!~Apollo 13

While traveling I came across this tacky hotel where, as typical, the desk clerk ask for my ID to verify my identity.  Then he sneakily entered my drivers license into the hotel computer system while I was standing right there, without asking if I cared or wanted to give this information to him. (You could tell on his face he knew he was doing something wrong).  I was very annoyed.  I have no clue why I didn't say anything, and I left feeling violated. (Days later, I think about how I should have said something, and I may just write a letter to the executive of the hotel chain and voice my concerns).

I'm not sure if we are realizing how much of our information is being put in the computer systems and how much can be linked together and hacked by people who either want to make a fast buck or will use the information against us someday.   I just watched the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo and what one of the characters does is so real.  I know this because I am a Computer Geek, besides the other professional labels that I am.  I got out of Computers knowing just that, I didn't want to be a part of continuing to develop our world to the way it is going. It's truly a mess, the Banking Industry, the focus on Money, the Computer (or electronic age that many are calling it now, to include phones and all of the other devices we so heavily rely on) and manipulated Power.

At this time I have no thoughts on a solution.  The only act that I could easily do, is walk out on my Computer Science doctorate, so that I would not be a developer in the game.  And I know so much that is going on in this world, it is truly scary.  Everyone tags along and uses the technology without a thought how it affects the tide of the world.

My friend and I talked about how the banking industry would not consume, the consumer, if the banks were broken up into smaller units.  Similar to what was done with the telephone industry, the monster was tamed.  The only way to get the message out there is similar to how education is being reformed now, someone with a big show and big money can snap her finger and the president takes notice.  The banking industry must be changed so that the economy can change.  The story I heard from my friend about the process she went through after losing everything to the bank was unbearable.  I truly felt for her experience.   It's a wonder why my Grandpa saved all his money in his sock drawer.  At this time, the bank has the power and authority to do it because it is a large bank.   The banks are looking at the bottom line and how it can benefit the bank.

It is, what it is right now. =S

If we all ban together and get our ideas to solve each of these problems, a difference will start to happen.  I know I don't have the answer to it all, do you.  As the old saying goes, together we can!

No comments: