Sunday, May 22, 2011

Criteria for Success (What's yours?)

If your success is not on your own terms, if it looks good to the world but does not feel good in your heart, it is not success at all.~Anna Quindlen
Someone once asked me, "How do you define success?"  I thought about it for a while, wondered, am I successful?  What determines success?  


Success is determined by people differently.  Some may think they are successful because they raised their kids and each one is out there with a job, and contributing to society in a positive way.  Others think success is making it to a management level in their career, other define success as being happy, healthy and wealthy.  So many ways to interpret success.


My definition of success is reaching my goal, not losing sight of the journey and lessons learned along the way, and being cognizant and articulate enough to tell the story of my experience.  I sometimes struggle with defining my interpretation of success.  I have gone through several stages in my life defining success in different ways. 


  • In my early 20's, success was graduating from college and getting a job.
  • In my late 20's early 30's is was about how many toys I acquired and moving up the latter in my career.
  • In my late 30's early 40's it was about traveling and reinventing myself, when in fact, I learned that it's all about being in the moment with people, hearing what they have and want to say.  Taking in the special talents others provide to me and share my talents with others.
  • In my mid-40's it is has been about discovering how I can give back and living a fulfilled-holistic life, one that I can be proud to tell stories to my grandchildren.
I believe I am successful, in so many ways and am thankful for all of the gifts and support that is provided to me along the way. Without all of the generous people in my life, there would be no success.  Success has become a welcoming experience for me.

Each one of us takes a unique journey through life, sometimes we cross paths other times we walk in parallel; and we determine success based on the path in life that we are taking at the time.  

How do you define success?  What are your life-long successes?

No comments: