Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My thoughts before the BIG Exam

... I believe the best test of a model is how well can the modeler answer the questions what do you know now that you did not know before? and how can you find out if it is true?-- Jim Bower




One of the most grueling processes for me is to take a complex multiple choice tests. You know the ones that you take at the prometric testing center.  I've been studying for a specific test for over 3 months, I don't know what got into me to even attempt this.  In the process of taking classes and studying, I have learned that there are different types of tests, those tests that supply you with a question, and if you get it wrong, it will designate your score based on those first 10 or 20 questions of inaccuracy. The one I am studying for now is different; they have a weighted scale for each question; but, the questions are related to 3 or 4 dimensions and concepts related to the specific area of expertise.  Not only do I need to memorize the definitions, but I need to understand it strategically and how they relate in a real-life scenario.

This makes me reminisce, back when I was in 7th grade, I think I have the timing right; when I chose to study story problems during summer school, only because we went. I sure did struggle with these, even back then. So, here I am decades later, struggling once again with the infamous story problems. Why do they have to make them so complicated? I suppose, this is why becoming certified is a great honor and a professional responsibility. People who receive this certificate are "very" proud and once you receive it, you will do everything in your power to ensure you maintain the appropriate amount of PDU's (professional development units) to maintain it.



I have a feeling that I will pass the exam it will be pivotal to this stage of my career.  I have goals and aspirations and this certification will help me achieve them.  I was going to close out by saying, wish me luck; however, it will not take luck, this time it will take perseverance, courage and memory!

No comments: