Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My first Marathon

I remember the day when I made my decision to run my first ever marathon. It stands in my thoughts vividly, sharing my dreams of running, not quite knowing what it would be like. Creating my own training schedule, by getting up and driving into the gym at 3:30 a.m. so that I could get my full workouts in before getting into work at 6:00 a.m., a revised schedule so that I could finish at 2:30 p.m. to take the 45 minute drive home to be home early enough to see my daughter from school and watch her participate or practice in her club events both USA gymnastics and USS swimming.

It was in 2002 when I ran it, in spring, May. The Madison Marathon. I can't believe I did all of this. Times sure have changed since then. I have racked up more marathons than I would have imagined since then and achieved over 50-some half marathons, having run 29 of them in 29 states. My daughter, is 23 years old now (has a career and living on her own), back then she was 14. Wow, it seems only yesterday when I was doing all of this.

During my marathon journey, I have learned more about running, my body, my self, my persona, my inspiration, my impact, and my self-worth. Running is more than just about doing the running. I've learned how much my body can take, the demands I put on my body, the resiliency my body endures. I love the mental state I'm in when I am running, before, during and after.

As I prepare now for another dream, I look back and appreciate all that I have accomplished. I am very healthy, I love to eat so I run. At this point in my life, I can truly say, if I am walking, swimming, or biking I am healthy. Anything to stay active!!!

Participating in each running event created unique stories and memories I will cherish the rest of my life!

No comments: