Monday, September 19, 2011

It's an amazing perspective...

First organized 8K ish Al's "race" "walk" run (Since ACL surgery)! I did my first organized "race" run today. I was all choked up at the start, knowing that this is the first time participating with the rest since I've had my accident in February. I think I was the only walker walking with the running group. Started out at the 9 minute mile marker, only because they didn't have any slower mark. My goal was to race walk the entire race at approximately 12 minute miles. I think I did it!!!! 5 miles in 1 hour. Woot! Eventually, I was the 11-12 min per mile group, and then I passed many people who stopped after a mile to walk. Had a few conversations along the way, an old man who I asked, "How are you doing?" and he said, "I am going to make it", and a man with both knees banded up after 3 knee surgeries told me, "You are doing really good for having ACL surgery after 3 months." It's amazing the perspective one has after going through a major surgery like I had and going through the process of going from surgery to learning how to walk and bike again (this is where I am during at this point in time of my recovery). Many people would run past me and say I was doing awesome or walking a really fast speed. These compliments meant "even more" to me than before February running in a race. At the end, I was choked up crossing the finish line. *Time to rest my knee now.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

you walked a 12 minute mile? that's awesome!! congrats on all your hard work getting back at it and not letting it keep you down.