Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sometimes you don't realize the missed or gained opportunity.

Sometimes you don't realize the missed or gained opportunity.  The direction your life can take by either your "yes" or "no".

I was working at a Starbucks in the city when I started to wrap things up, I decided to get up and introduce myself and what I'm up to!, to the person at the table nearby.  I walked over to his table and introduced myself.  "Hi, my name is Kim, would you mind if I ask you a few questions?"  He paused for a second, and said, "Sure!"  Then he asked, "Why are you doing this?"  I said, "I'm changing the world in a large way encouraging resiliency while having fun in the process!"  He said, "Wow!  Okay, go for it!"  I went on to explain, "I'm developing a non-profit called The Butterfly USA Foundation. It serves as an awareness platform." I paused, then continued...  "Money comes in from donations, sponsors and grants, and then funds positive awareness topics through different forms of media.  The money that comes back from the media exposure goes into education."  "So, for example, right now I am producing an animated film called "Alex Writes a Book", there will be an event showing the film for the first time at Alex's school.  Any proceeds that come from the event will be given to the schools he visits."  The idea for the film started four months ago, when my great nephew came up to me and asked, "Auntie Kim, can you help me write a children's book?"  I said yes.  Knowing it takes courage for a little eight-year old boy to ask an adult for help sometimes.

I packaged up a bag with writing goodies and met with Alex a month later, and gave him the simple rules to follow.  They were, name the stuffed toy, go in a private-quite area for 15 minutes a day for three days a week and either tell or write your story to your stuffed toy, or draw or color a picture during that time.   I asked Alex what he wanted out of the project.  His simple request was to keep the book, a bookmark and stuffed toy."

I visited Alex two times, in a month the idea for the book was created.  

The animated short film, shows Alex telling Nate, how he helped him write a book.  The Book, Nate the Dragon Stops Bullying, stuffed toy, bookmark and soundtrack music will be packaged as a kit and provided to schools across the globe to use in their curriculum.

My new friend from Starbucks eyes, were wide with interest.  I continued...

"I am also producing a film, 5 key women are telling my story, to my daughter.

This idea was inspired by my daughter, when she graduated college and was trying to find her first professional job.  The concerns she had like, "not sure she will pick the right job and not sure I know what I want to do yet."  A lot of pressure.  Since my career has been all over the place, I thought it would be great to tell my story to her through a book and film.  So, this is how the film was born.  I'm currently trying to find a sponsor.

Since both of us had meetings in five minutes, we had to say goodbye.  But, the kind man gave me his card and said, "By the way, I am meeting with Jesse White, the major of Chicago, in five minutes, I am going to introduce him to you and ask that he meet you.  You are up to something big."

Wow, amazing where a "Yes" can lead.

No comments: