Friday, July 20, 2012

Psychology of Social Media: No Facebook Day 12

It's 2007 and I'm standing in front of a small group, watching each person sitting in awe, waiting patiently to hear more about my experiences with Social Media.  I start talking about the tools that I have used since 2004, explaining the experiences I had while growing with each of the products.  About half-way through my talk, I start talking about legal capabilities and compliance and this is where the dialogue begins.  So many questions and concerns about how their data was going to be used, accessed and available on the internet.  This generated a lot of conversation and I could hear the participants tone, they were afraid of people accessing their information without their permission.

Fast forward, to 2012, and these same people are on Facebook without a blink of the eye, posting their pictures, personal information for family and friends to see.  It's like they forgot the early intentions and fears that crept up on them when they first decided to use the tool.

As I grew with Facebook, I remember how they tried to under-mind me, as a user, by placing policies out there allowing them to take my data without my permission.  I remember this clearly because some advocates made a large noise, and I received several messages from Facebook renouncing their policy.  I'm sure there have been many policies created on Facebook about them being able to use my information to sell to other companies, without me formally agreeing, or even know I agreed in the first place.

Now the design changes almost every other month and I'm sure the policies do to, without me even knowing it, because in the over-arching policy, if you create an account, you agree to allow Facebook the freedom to do what they want with the data you type on their platform.  This is disconcerting, to say the least.  However, the company is doing their do diligence to make money by their product.

It will be interesting to see where Facebook goes.  I think it will have a short life, and a new tool or product will be created with more fancy glitches.  One-by-one people will transfer to that dangling new product.  Let's wait and see, it soon will arrive.

Day 12 and I still am way too busy to consider accessing Facebook and these were the thoughts that ran through my mind as I considered Facebook as a platform today.

No comments: