Sunday, January 13, 2013

Do our leaders deserve an ”F” for their “fiscal cliff” Performance?

“You, who write, choose a subject suited to your abilities and think long and hard on what your powers are equal to and what they are unable to perform.”~Horace

I wanted to start with this quote, to make mention that I am not a political expert by no means.  In fact, when people tell me that I should go into politics my first reaction is, “I’m not qualified to be a politician.”  So read my opinion with that thought in mind. 

When our clocks struck midnight on January 1st, I knew 2013 was looking grim for us in the U.S.  But, I do believe something more could have been done and I never understand why a group of people have to be so hard-headed about their “political party” just to keep their interests at bay.

In my experience, where there is money; you will see our policies lie.  It’s obvious, and sad, the direction our country is focusing. Those leaders in high places have a lot of influence.  No, I’m not talking just about those in DC; I’m talking about each of the leaders in corporations. 

Money is the root of all evil.  Each politician is getting paid by their “sponsors and supporters.” They are getting paid off to support the things the company needs votes for.  And as we all know, companies are running government.  I watched this heart-wrenching film this past spring, about the way corporations run their finances through tax loop-holes, sending their money to a post office box on an island called a country.  Out of US boundaries.  What got me as I watched the film is how the president appointed a GE executive to help us “get us out of this fiscal hole”. Then a few days later, we learned that GE paid zero dollars in taxes that year.  Of course, the leader is still positioned on his panel.  At the end of the film, it showed a rally of millions of people protesting against this; the executive looking down with a snicker.   Even with a crowd of people, the money stands much stronger.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I totally get that money makes the world go round.  I know that money is necessary, to do things.  Heaven knows; I’ve had to take money from my own pockets to make a shift in our communities and money is needed for these initiatives for the public to see.  I totally get that; but I believe there needs to be a balance.  Only a couple of decades ago, 60’s and 70’s, we at least had a balance between taking care of each other.  The government didn’t tell us to do this; it was out of respect for each other and my own responsibility.  I remember that I was free to own my freedom, as long as I was being a responsible citizen myself.

Government isn’t working anymore because our country has outgrown it.  The government was designed with Washington his leaders, back when that design worked. We have grown out of the design as it is run today.  It is time to re-look at our government design to see maybe it just is not working anymore and we need to adjust it to fit the needs of the population at hand. 


And finally, government is top-heavy; running too many programs, when in turn, they should just be oversight.  The definition of government is “the system or form by which a community or other political unit is governed.”  In that definition it doesn’t say an organization that runs programs, schools and prisons.    It’s hard to get through the tangle of political mumble jumble and see main objectives we are trying to achieve as a country.  And now, with the financial burden, we as middle class are going to have to take on more burden.  I get exhausted and am feeling it.  It’s getting difficult for anyone to survive just to live the American dream.  I’m not talking about the bigger house and more toys; I’m simply talking about 'to live a happy life.' 

There are times when discuss ironically, “The prisoners are better off that we are.  They get 3 meals a day and get a free education and prescriptions.”  And guess who’s paying for it?  Yep… We are!

I know that I am only one person.  I am writing this because I figure, instead of just sitting here, reading these unsettling stories; I should do something.  

Each of us can play a part in this.  I presented only some of the problems, now, where can we each go from here?  Until we each address these problems, in our own innovative and creative ways, it’s going to continue to be an unsettling stalemate.

Kim Groshek, A driving force behind positive change through the power of the Arts and Sciences.


No comments: