Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I'm going vegan: Day 2

This is harder than I thought, or I didn't think before diving it.

Before my choice to go vegan, only a day ago, I guess you could have called me a very loose vegetarian.  Although, there were times when I liked a good hamburger, so I would cheat a little here and there.  But, typically, when we would get fixings for the grill, we would always pick up chicken for me and the rest of my family would eat hamburgers and brats.    On a regular basis, I ate typically only ate chicken and fish, with eggs and butter and so on.

Today, I went to the coffee house, and I am learning really quick how difficult this will be. Their oatmeal is made with butter and milk and they look at me strange when I ask for Soy for my creamer. *And I forgot there are eggs in noodles, so I have to get special noodles too. Crazy!!!! =S

Thanks to Lori, my friend on Daily Mile, I received some more publications and cookbooks to try:

  • Check out "Eat to Live" by Joel Furman,
  • "Veganomicon," by by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero is a great vegan cookbook full of tasty recipes!, and
  • "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.

So far, I'm doing okay.  I know it will be wise to get blood tests, so that is next on my agenda.  And also to ensure I substitute protein in some way.  I eat nuts, both almonds and pecans, and know this provides protein; however, I will do more research to make sure my diet is balanced.

The challenge continues...so far so good, day two.

No comments: