Thursday, January 10, 2013

I'm going vegan: Day 3

I made my first vegan recipe for dinner last night.  Another interesting encounter, that is for sure.  I learned that just shopping for the ingredients, trying to find noodles without eggs, was very interesting.  I made Vegan Lasagna, with spinach and all sorts of wonderful vegetables.  It tasted different than my usual meat and cottage cheese lasagna.  I have to admit, I wasn't sure how it would taste without any sort of cheese, because cheese is what always made my lasagna.  It must have been good because my hubby ate two pieces.  Either he was "that" hungry or he was really liking the new tasty meal.

We both watched Knife over Fork last evening after our meal and I think it made sense to my husband why I am going vegan.  Many are asking me why, the main reason is because of the reverse effects eating vegetable and whole fruit diet has; without eating anything with eyes that once breathes (as the physician in the documentary states).  Research proves that your cells renew and reverse to more healthy forming cells and cavity walls.  So, I'm trying this out to see if it makes a difference in my workouts, energy and all of my health numbers (i.e. cholestoral, blood pressure, glucose and so on).  It's only day 3, and the main thing I feel is my body is going through a strange withdrawal.  And my mind is too.  Its going to take discipline in all areas of my life.

It wasn't too difficult finding the ingrediants at Whole Foods today, that store makes it a little easier.

The hard part is eating at restaurants.  Since, my main meeting place is out at a restaurant.  This morning was no different, breakfast meeting.  So, I had to ask the waitress a head of time, if they had a fruit-bowl, which they did.  And they had a side of nuts.  The fruit bowl had a variety of fruits, like blueberries, pineapples, melons, strawberries and bananas.  It tasted good and was a large enough bowl to fill me up.

I found out that there is a Vegan restaurant in Oak Park called Munch located in the Logan Park square and the food is delicious.

I'll check it out sometime and write my review.

No comments: