Thursday, January 17, 2013

My experience at the store...

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours." -- Wayne Dyer

Another lesson in life.  I decide to go shopping the other day.  Now, that I am vegan, it's more important to have my meals prepared with substantial nutrition.  And now with my new book, "Forks Over Knives, the Cookbook" there is a plethora of recipes to choose from.

It takes more work to create a meal because a simple thing like sour cream has to be made from scratch, especially since I cannot have dairy products in my diet.

So, that day, I had a craving for Nachos.  Nachos have been a staple in my diet for years, knowing the cheese and processed beans had a lot of saturated fats, I still ate them.  It turns out that my new cookbook has a recipe for nachos and I was on a mission to make them.  So, I headed to the grocery store with list in hand.

Now, when I go grocery shopping, which isn't often, it's like a little adventure for me.  I like to take my time at it.  I was enjoying, making decisions after reading the labels and scavenging through the produce and selections in the aisles.  

I was almost complete with my shopping.  I strolled to the chips section, pushed my cart to the side to make room for anyone to go by, and strolled up to the location, trying to sort out where the baked tortillas were located.  When, I look up, I see three heavy-set people, it looked like a dad, and he had on a red with black striped jacket and a baseball cap, unkempt facial hair.  The two kids stood there with arms crossed in a huffy manner, without saying anything to me, I seemed to be disrupting their shopping experience.  I said after I looked up, "Oh, I'm sorry, were you trying to get through?"  Now there was room in-between my cart and me and I didn't receive any ounce of positive feedback from them, not even a thank you, or even a smile.  

Now I realize how we are living in this world.  We are keeping our thoughts in our heads, not speaking out to let people know, in a nice way that I may be in their way.  I took a moment to compose myself, and then looked the other way.  It seemed there was another person coming from the other direction who didn't want to leave his path, and of course, I was in it.  So, I stated, "I must be in everyone's way today." Then he said, "Well, there is a lot to choose from in this isle."   I thought what a strange statement.  And let the man pass by.

I think this is one of the reasons why I don't like to go grocery shopping, especially at a conglomerate grocery store.  The first reason is because the selection doesn't ever match my list; however, I did find the majority of the items on my list, even Tofu, which shocked me.  And second, because the people don't talk, they just go their path and think everyone else around them is imposing.  I brushed it off, and let it go.

The rest of my shopping experience was very good.  The only thing I didn't find was Tahini.  But, I found this online at a very reasonable price.  So, I'm happy to have accomplished so much in a little town's grocery store.


No comments: