I saw this delicious recipe for Quinoa Black Bean Stew in Alive Magazine, and knew it would be perfect for an easy weekday meal…and I was right! It was REALLY simple to throw together, so hearty, and high in protein and fibre, which satisfied my post workout appetite.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 – 14 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (check ingredients for wheat flour added if you want it to be 100% gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- juice of 1/2 lime (I juiced the whole lime)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Shredded vegan cheese (optional)
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and quinoa and toast quinoa until slightly fragrant, about 4 minutes.
Add broth, black beans, chipotle pepper, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 13 minutes. Stir in lime juice.
Remove half the soup, and carefully puree in food processor or blender until smooth. Return to pan and heat 2 minutes. Divide among serving bowls and garnish with vegan cheese and cilantro.
~The Vegan Project