Saturday, February 2, 2013

Going Vegan: The good, the bad and the ugly...

Since going vegan, I thoughtlesslessly heat up my tea pot every evening before bed and fill my mug with chai, acai or echinacea green tea.  I enjoy it!  The reason, because I'm not quite sure what I can and cannot drink yet.  I have yet to do research.  Here is a discovery I want to share.

I uncovered the nutritional value and benefits just one cup of green tea provides my body:


Green Tea

  • Fights cancer

  • Is an Antiviral agent

  • Lowers cholesterol

  • Maintains a healthy circulatory system

  • Prevents cavities

  • Strengthens tooth enamel

  • Protects against heart disease

  • Reduces plaque and bacteria in your mouth

  • Speeds metabolism

  • Prevents dementia

  • Prevents diabetes

  • Full of antioxidants

  • Gives healthy skin

  • Prevents food poisoning

  • Prevents bad breath

  • Detoxifies
Uncovering more about Drinks:
Funny thing is, my favorite guy has been doing some research on his own, watching shows like Dr. Oz and the Doctors on television.  He recently shared something he learned on Dr. Oz, about drinks like Gatorade and Mountain Dew that shocked me.

You will never believe what I am going to write here; because it shocked me when I heard this....
This discovery he shared with me is very interesting and well worth sharing with you.  I learned that there is a chemical included in drinks major companies use this make sure liquid materials stay mixed in the bottles they distribute and store on shelves.

These drinks (like Mt. Dew and Gatorade) have Brominated vegetable oil, or BVO, which is used in a number of drinks to prevent the colors and flavors from separating.  BVO is a flame retardant used in furniture and others BVO has been banned in Europe and Japan.  The scientific article explains more about BVO.

It shocked me because so many parents, like myself, have either doused my daughter with Gaterade during her swim and gymnastics meets, and I also incorporated Gatorade in my half-marathon regime to prepare nutritionally before and after the race.

My choice to drink green tea is a good one and my choice not to drink Mt Dew and other drinks like Gatorade is another good one.

I'll keep you posted as my education unfolds, about food and drink products.  This uncovery further validates my choice to go vegan.

No comments: