I found this wonderful recipe, perfect for this season. (reference: Mary McDougall’s recipe)
Pumpkin Walnut Muffins (vegan)
- 2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup Sunsweet Lighter Bake (see note below)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup soy milk (see note below)
- Have ready a 12-cup standard-size silicone muffin pan or line a muffin pan with liners. (Susan’s note: I used 15 silicone muffin liners.)
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF with a rack in the lower third of the oven. Whisk the Egg Replacer with 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl until frothy, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat and all-purpose flours, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the walnuts and raisins.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the pumpkin, Lighter Bake (or apple sauce), molasses, and soy milk until no lumps remain. Add the reserved Egg Replacer. Stir this mixture into the flour mixture just until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups and bake for 30 minutes, or until they are golden and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set the pan on a rack to cool completely before removing the muffins from the pans.
Since Lighter Bake is not available in my area, I used natural apple sauce, which is less sweet but still resulted in delicious muffins.
If you’d like to make them without the walnuts, you can subtract about 25 calories and 2.5 grams of fat per muffin. You can also substitute any non-dairy milk for the soy milk.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s) | Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12-15 muffins
Nutrition (1/15th of recipe, using apple sauce): 142 calories, 25 calories from fat, 3g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 166.3mg sodium, 215.1mg potassium, 27.8g carbohydrates, 2.3g fiber, 12.8g sugar, 2.8g protein, 4.1 points. (Nutritional data is courtesy of this website; any mistakes are mine!–SV)