Thursday, May 23, 2013

Going Vegan: Day 73

Did you know?

Today I went to the doctor to get some blood tests.  I wanted to make sure everything is in sync.

Since I've changed my diet to a "plant-based" diet, starting in January, I've learned that B-12 is an essential vitamin that doesn't get absorbed in your body without meat-based products. And I wanted to check to make sure I have a balance of vitamins in my blood based on the foods I am eating.

That was my intention going in...

Coming out, I find that Vitamin D is more crucial.   Turns out studies have shown that Vitamin D is one of the root solutions in for aiding in the prevention of cancer and other diseases.

For those of us who live in the midwest, it is important to either get 10 minutes of sunlight or take a 1000 mg Vita D supplement. And since, milk, cheese and fish are the key sources that provide this vitamin I am realizing that I need to re-look at my diet to ensure I have Vitamin D.  In the meantime supplements for me.

*Read up on Vitamin D and how it curbs disease.   

There, so now you have it, "the more you know"...

No comments: