- 1/2 lb. butter (Vegan - Use olive oil instead)
- 2 c. sugar (Vegan - Use raw sugar instead)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (Vegan - use sea salt)
- 1 lb. Ricotta (Vegan - use vegan cheese recipe, search for blog post)
- 2 eggs (Vegan - egg replacer)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 4 1/2 c. flour (Vegan - rice flour)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
*Vegan substitutes: Try using Earth Balance for the butter, agave syrup for the sugar, tofu for the ricotta and egg replacer. As for the frosting, again Earth Balance, nut milk for milk (my favorite is almond milk) and grind up some turbinado for the confectionery sugar. You will have to adjust the agave syrup amount or just use turbinado instead.
Cream butter; add sugar and continue creaming. Add egg and Ricotta and vanilla; beat well. Sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda, salt; add to batter.
Drop about a teaspoon of dough on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degree oven about 10 minutes until edges are lightly browned. Cool.
- 2 c. confectionery sugar
- 1/4 c. butter (Vegan - Use olive oil)
- 3 tbsp. milk (Vegan - Use coconut milk)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Mix well and put on top of cookies and sprinkles.