Monday, July 8, 2013

Going Vegan: Day 169

I have to admit, it's been a bit of a struggle trying to keep on track with my plant-based diet: 1. doing these 13.1 runs my body really needs carbo load, pasta, which in all restaurants have some sort of cheese and they prepare 'everything' with butter 2. I am not at home, traveling to the destination of choice, requires eating out, and 3 I guess it comes down to being a bit lazy.

I am getting real tired of asking for the servers/chefs at these restaurants to prepare my dish in olive oil. This last pass, they 'over spiced' the food and it tasted terrible. Cooks are not trained to prepare plant-based foods, even on request, either it's so bland with no spices it tastes like rabbit food or it's over spiced, or non-of-the above, it's the servers make faces, roll their eyes and feel like I'm imposing on them. I have learned when preparing dishes at home that in adding spices, less is more.  I have also learned that you can really make some awesome dishes with organic vegetables and fruits that are 'out of this world' delicious!!!

Anyway, the noodles they serve are of course made with eggs, so again, not plant-based...

So, I've slipped.  A little cheese here and little butter there, only to appease my race needs.  And of course, I'm getting exhausted dealing with these restaurants.

Then, this whole B12 and D deficiency comes along and I'm nervous that I will lose my memory.  Both my husband and daughter have been noticing that I'm much more forgetful and I have to admit, so am I.  I recognize that I can't seem to retrieve information from my memory as quickly or not at all, for that matter.  Doctors orders, after bloodwork, 2 months of 5000 mg Vitamin D supplements and 2000 mg of Vitamin B12.  I've been pretty faithful taking these supplements daily for the past several weeks.  Don't know how my blood is carrying these vitamins into my system, but I"ll stay on this regimen until doctors orders change.

When I was ready to give up, I receive this note that a prominent physician is now encouraging doctors to prescribe plant-based to their patients.

Then I read on, I think, 'there must be something to this.'  I need to continue to forge forward, cannot weaken to the majority.  Time to pick myself up, wipe off the dust and move forward.  It's been doing me good, can't go back now.

*Thanks Richard (from dailymile)

No comments: