Monday, July 15, 2013

Joy Heart Tip: Long Distance Running Come back...

I'm coming back to running half marathons after a tragic ACL tear in 2011, which caused me to be "out of commission" and "knocked me into my senses" by experiencing having to "learn how to walk again."  It took courage, determination and patience to take on this challenge after running over 50 lifetime half marathons and in 29 different states.

Two years of emotional up-hill battle.  I felt sorry for my PT.  *Poor guy! :(

At the beginning of this year, I set a goal to run at least 1 half marathon.  I picked, the Green Bay half in May.  Now, in July, I can say, with my husbands determination and support, we both have run 6 half marathons this year.  I am very proud of myself.

In addition, we changed our diets in January, to a more plant-based diet.  WOW!  What a difference a diet makes!

My husband has crushed his personal best by over 25 minutes, and I can go on a 20 mile bike ride immediately after a run without feeling lethargic or sick.

We plan to run several more, our goal now is bigger, 10 halves this year, with me planning to support my friend, who I coached into running in 2010.  My friend lost over 85 pounds and is now planning to run her first marathon, Detroit, and I by her side in October.

It turns out, she has been supporting and coaching me these days, since her transformation.  I am now back on the road, a little slower, but I'm there, running alongside the rest of you.

Doing what I love, long distance running.

No comments: