Friday, January 3, 2014

Daily Post #3: Brev·i·ty

I was working at my computer when somone approaches me to ask, “How was your week?”  I stated, “I got a lot done. Not many people in the office so it was pretty quiet.”

This person proceeds to ask me all sorts of questions, I was uncertain what to answer.  My confusion grew as I try to figure out where these questions were coming from.  Questions spew out of this person’s mouth while proceeding to ask another question.  I pause after hearing the next question, it seems to be the same question.

I didn’t know how to answer it.

Slowly becoming aware of speaking the same question over and over again, this person paused, then asks a different question. 'Phew! I think,' At least this one was a new topic.  From my vantage-point this person seems unhappy with my first answer, or maybe she isn't listening to me.  Or better yet, it not what this person wants to hear.

After the short question and answer, this person quips, “I’m sorry to have bothered you and walks away.”

I sit here dumbfounded.  Thinking, ‘What was that all about?’

I am confused when people do this.  I’m not certain whether it is out of curiosity, insecurity or leverage, or if it is to drum up conversation.

I go back to what I''m doing after that uncomfortable 5 minute conversation.

I believe that words are powerful.  The words show us who we are and what we represent.    In this fast-paced day of technology, it is more important than ever to choose our words wisely.


 “When life puts you in tough situations, don’t say “Why Me?”  Just say, “Try Me!”

No comments: