- 5 pounds roasted pumpkin or winter squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 slices toasted baguette, called croutes
1. In a large saucepan, saute the onions, garlic, ginger and curry in olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the pumpkin or squash, and stock.
2. Bring to a simmer and cook until all the vegetables are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Puree the soup using a hand mixer or food processor, and season to taste with salt and pepper. In the oven or under the broiler, melt cheese on the croutes. Float one in each bowl of soup and garnish with green onions. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
— by Chef Greg Higgins