Friday, April 17, 2015

Daily Post: GREAT BOOK + HARD WORK + TIME + LUCK.

As I write and publish my books, create programs, produce TV Shows, Films and Plays, I've hesitated to get out there and MARKET them. I always figure... "If there are good they will sell themselves."  

I ran across this article by @DelilahSDawson that is SO very true. It's a lot of what I believe in as I DO THE WORK. 

I focus on my projects, programs and writing. I want it to be GREAT!  If figure by putting the HARD WORK and TIME in, I am 3/4 of the way there.  

This is an excerpt of what #DelilahSDawson suggests.

1. Being genuine.This is the most important one. For real. People who win my respect and my dollars are kind and informative, help lift others up, don't punch down, try to pass on opportunities, and show support and encouragement. Beyond that, they interact in ways that are warm and not hurtful, sarcastic, or humorous at the expense of others. They're part of a conversation, not lords on high, tossing down scraps for the rest of us.


2. Adding value.
Adding value means passing on truly helpful links, retweeting job listings or calls for submissions, wishing someone a happy launch day, recommending products you've enjoyed, discussing the news of the day in a respectful and thoughtful manner, talking about an upcoming event, or generally saying things that make someone's day just a little brighter. Over time, people will begin to trust you as you repeatedly add value to their life. You just have to figure out what it is and give yourself time to build a community.
 

3. Informing without being condescending.What you say is as important as how you say it, especially online, where we don't have facial expressions and tone of voice to help out. Before you tweet something that you're really hoping people will notice, like a link to your blog post or an article you found interesting, make sure the wording is uplifting and clear as compared to rude, snarky, sarcastic, or negative. Be a co-conspirator in sharing awesome content.

4. Telling us about your product in an interesting way.
I want knowledge, cleverness, and something unique that surprises or delights me. Your product should include all of those elements, so why would your tweet be this dull, shouty thing filled with hashtags that no one actually uses to find books? 100% of my book purchases come from Twitter recommendations from people I trust.


5. Doing only the social media that you love.You can't be all things to all people, and that means that you can't maintain a solid presence on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, Reddit, Ello, Tsu, LinkedIn, your blog, and all your favorite forums and also be writing your next book and living your life. Pick what works for you and abandon the rest. Me? I tried Pinterest and ultimately lost interest. There is no shame in abandoning something that makes you miserable.


6. Spreading out your posts to reach a variety of people without seeming repetitive.
Look at it this way. You're sitting next to someone on the plane who seems like they might want to chat. Do you just hand them one business card after another, demanding that they buy your product, or do you ask about their job, tell them about your job, ask them about their kids, mention that article you read on motherhood, show them a pic of your baby? What's actually going to have them turning toward you, smiling, instead of facing the window and slipping on earphones?
 

7. Trying new things. Keep what works for you and forget the rest.When you find something that brings you success, keep doing it. Improve on it. Hone it. Share it, if you can, with other people hunting for answers. But if you're doing the same thing, over and over again, and not getting any closer, it might be time to step back and try something different. If you want to. It's all about enjoying how you interact with writing, media, and fans.

8. Staying positive.
Being negative does not attract people and readers and new opportunities. Being negative is actively damaging your reputation and your career. Maintaining a professional, courteous, and positive attitude is a big part of connecting with readers online.
 

9. Starting your next project, program, or for me, "Writing the next book." Honestly? This is the biggest one for me. I get really frustrated and jealous, and I can't figure out how to hit list and get invited into big anthologies, and I have to close my browser, take a deep breath, and start writing. The next book is the only thing I can control. So I focus on falling in love with the next idea, developing the plot, crafting characters that you'll have no choice but to fall in love with. You, the writer, are an endless font of ideas and stories. As long as you keep writing them and moving forward, you're doing something great for yourself, your writing, and your career.
 

10. Develop genuine social connections. The thing is, we shout the most and the hardest when we feel alone and unheard. We aren't connecting with people. Stop shouting and start talking. Find a way to Listen, and you'll be heard.

No comments: