Saturday, May 2, 2015

Crazy Running Gal: MD, DE, and NJ

It surely was a very different adventure this time around. At first I didn't even think I'd make it on the trip. With a little prodding I made it out the door and into my car.  The adventure began. A drive up the east coast with a few stops along the way. 

I made it a game!
The plan,
  • To run 3 states, Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey, and
  • To make it a game to see how little I could spend on the trip.

I put a budget together showing my gas, food and hotel expenses.  There ended up being a few other expenses, but you'll see the stats and see how it all turns out and if I end up making the game work!

The first stop was North Carolina, to my surprise, I was invited to stay at my friends home. They welcomed me with open arms and it was, Oh So Nice to catch up with them! <3
I started the series in Elkton, Maryland where I was a bit out of shape. This was my first half marathon for 2015. My legs took a bit to get going. I took it slower this run. I came in at a 2:15.  That's not too shabby, and I can't complain.


Met a new running friend who had an extra Yurt for me to stay at in Lum's Pond for the first couple nights.  It was really nice to learn more about her and her experiences as a newer runner. So many runners have a story, and each one is unique!
The next run was in Bear, Delaware. This was a flat course and another one that I had a slower time. But, this time around, just finishing is enough for me. I came in at a 2:11.



As I planned for the next trip, I had a day in-between to rest. I stopped at a place with internet and checked out Courchsurfing for the first time. I thought I'd try it to see if I might be able to find a host at short notice. I did, and she lives on a beautiful farm house with over 30 acres in Glen Gardner, NJ. Her home is gorgeous. Her husband gutted it out and refinished it for the past 20 years and it shows.

The day off, the first stop, the Gibson's gym, one of the most friendly gym I've been to. I took a fitness class lead by Robin. My buttocks and gluts got a workout! Then I relaxed and had a protein shake while my host worked on some things with her trainer. She gave me a tour of the area. There is a story here and the timing is perfect because I can see the trees flowering.  

We trekked down the steep Columbia trail, walked along the Raritan river, saw many fly-fishermen. My books will be in this cute little bookstore in the little town.

Stopped at a small-town grocery store Rambos that cuts and wraps meats the traditional way, and then headed back to enjoy the gnomes that were placed along the trail by a famous leather-smith, Sue Lawsen, who wrote the book about Gnomes on the Columbia Trail. Here's a bicycle that is perched in front of her home designed with leather. (I added this to "The bicycles I see" portfolio on facebook).

The evening ended with some homemade pizza, the really thin kind that I love! I got a few tips on how to make the dough and a rich coffee that I'm trying right when I get home.
The next run was in Clinton New Jersey, a very nice park called Spruce Run Recreation Area. Perfect, flat and okay time, 2:17. I'll take it!
I spent the remainder of the day touring Hunterdon County in New Jersey.  I saw an In-ground Cellar. 

Kinda looked like a home for gnomes or a home that sunk in quick-sand. "Oh, yes, I can create stories about this one." 

We arrived at the Historic Clinton and I realize I was there before, back in 2012, when we pull up to the small town and I see the Red Mill Museum in the Historic Clinton, NJ.  

Then We crossed the state-line and walked around Pennsylvania for a short while. I saw the Marsha Brown restaurant there, a converted a church to a formal restaurant and kept all of the ornate details intact.

I can now add Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey to my half marathon completed states list!!!

Here are my states left to do!

    •    AK Alaska - Juneau - 1
    •    CT Connecticut - Hartford - 2
    •    HI Hawaii - Honolulu - 4
    •    ME Maine - Augusta - 5
    •    NH New Hampshire - Concord - 9
    •    OR Oregon - Salem - 13
    •    RI Rhode Island - Providence - 14
    •    UT Utah - Salt Lake City - 17

Here are some stats: I ran 39.3 miles, traveled 2,791 miles by car, averaged 8.007 gallons at $2.54 average per gallon. I ran 6:45:32, drove 38:17 hours and averaged 2:15:11 for 13.1 mile run and spent an average of $166.19 per race which includes travel, food and accommodations excluding the race entry cost. I ran in 3 states and drove or visited 16 states.

I drove through Wisconsin, Illinois, stopped in Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and stayed in Florida for several days to experience Tarpon Springs, Safety Harbor, Clearwater, Orlando. I dropped Leon off at the airport, then drove solo along the Coast through Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina, then traveled through Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania before heading back through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin, back to the Midwest.

Stay tuned... another race to come!

1 comment:

JustTrying Kim said...

I ran in the 2 states you didn't run in, haha. No wonder I didn't see you out there. We visited the mill in NJ as well. What a great trip!