Thursday, October 29, 2015

50 Things You Didn’t Know About Me

Well, I had a friend put up a post like this and I liked it so much I thought I needed to do it as well. If you have been a long-time reader you may know some of these things, but surely not all. I am 50 years old and these are 50 random things about me in a random order. Enjoy!

1. I have had dozens of jobs over the last 25 years, and one of the more unbelievable ones was in college when I was literally paid to sew costumes for a local theater. I guess I know where my passion for theater and the arts come from, everything builds from experience.

2. Even after 8 years of writing it doesn’t come easy. Part of Leon's  (my husand's) job is to encourage me, sometimes like 5-year old with a plate of vegetables to get my writing done. It is challenging to get in the flow, but when I do, it's an amazing feeling.

3. My daughter is a better dancer than I am.
 That is all.

4. Keep me away from anything that is SWEET. I try to be a disciplined person – and I am in some areas of my life, but my sweet-tooth has been a tough one to beat.

5. My guilty pleasure is simply some popcorn and a glass of dark red wine (pinot noir, malbach, red port, shiraz)

6. I love talking about entrepreneurship and plan on writing a bit more about it on Blogspot next year.

7. I love tech-gadgets. They are a guilty pleasure.

8. I love beans and cheese, such a fatty and salty treat.

9. I am scared of failing. I continually force myself to face my fear of failure.

10. My motto, Life is a bowl of cherries, make cherry lemonade.

11. Everything I can think of that I have succeeded at in life was preceded with lots of failure. The key is to use failure as momentum and -of course- learn from it!

12. I still do dumb things with my money. I obviously try not to, but it still happens from time to time.

13. I highly recommend date night at least one night a week. Keep the romance and spontaneity alive.

14. I wish I could get rid of my cell phone. While the convenience is great, the negative effects on relationships by everyone (I am guilty too) being glued to their phones is disheartening.

15. I am VERY independent. Ask my mom.

16. I use to be a model, not anymore, and it was an experience, at one time passion of mine.

17. I love things that were valued and cherished hundreds of years ago – fine craftsmanship and artistry of any kind make me happy.

18. Along that vein, I love just about anything made out of full-grain leather (except pants). 

19. I am a minimalist in progress. Earlier this year I started getting rid of our junk. I call it fen shui. It felt way better than I thought it would.

20. I most recently learned to laugh and cry. 

21. I am pretty content with life.

22. Yes, I make a living writing and creating art.

23. One of my favorite things to do is to take a Harley ride with my husband.

24. I love buying and selling things at the same price. It is one of the secrets of our financial success thus far. I try to do it with almost everything, but my best accomplishment thus far was buying an old $$$$. That was a happy day.

25. I love crochet and sew, haven't done much of this since my daughter has grown, but when things slow down, I'll pick this up again and stitch away, making crafty things that fill the soul...

26. I LOVE problem-solving. It’s thrilling when I find a solution to a challenging problem.

27. I finished our bedroom and did it all myself except for the wood floors – I am terrible at that.

28. I believe paying off your debt is one of the best decisions you can make. I don't care what anyone says. It creates so much freedom and provides so many more options than most people realize.

29. I love taking long walks, being in nature makes me happy.

30. Except, if it's raining, then I'm not.

31. I have so many degrees in business administration, education and computer science, but I have learned far more about business from the experience and books I read AFTER graduating than what I learned in school.

32. I would be half the women I am without my husband. He is truly a gift from God and he so perfectly fills in the gaps of my weaknesses. Without his encouragement and support I would have made very little progress in life. That's the secret to my success.

 33. I desire nothing more than to honor God with my life. I miss the mark and often need course-corrections, but I never stop chasing God’s plan for my life.

34. I am soon to live in Florida. I was born and raised in Wisconsin, and recently will move to Florida and am looking forward to loving it!

35. I believe that Christmas actually is the best time of the year.

36. My favorite time of year is fall. Reminds me of my childhood, hanging at grandma's house, raking leaves, taking long walks on Wisconsin trails.

37. I lived in Wisconsin my entire life, but traveled for work for my adult life. It was like I lived in a different state each year. It's been a great ride.

38. I'm a crazy running girl. Wait! You probably already knew that. But, what you might not know is that I was the first girl, along with Mary K (who I talked into running with me) to run on my high school Cross Country team.

39. I have a secret passion for no motor scooters. In fact, I took over my daughters scooter when she grew up and use to foot-pedal the scooter to get the mail each day. Until my husband threw it out. ;P

40. My favorite toy was a flatsy doll, legos and board games like life, monopoly, operation and mousetrap. I would play for hours with these things, especially legos, I would build all sorts of creative things with those blocks.  
41. I started running when I was 16 and I never stopped. I love the independence I have, the freedom I have and exploration I get from running. I can visit a new city and explore the terrain simply by putting on my running gear and heading out the door with my Garmin to show me the distance. 

42. At one time fashion was my passion. As a teen, I would hide away on weekends, in our family room, clipping and sewing new clothes for my wardrobe; while Shirley Temple reruns played on TV in the background. One summer I made my entire wardrobe from scratch and there was a time I wanted to be a fashion designer. 

43. Modern art intrigues me. I dabble in this space exploring different ways to express my own art.
 

44. I love big cities and spend several weekends a year there; places like Chicago, LA, and New York are my favorites.

44. I have seen the world! Traveled to many countries, like: Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Greece, Czech Republic, Ireland, Canada, Belize, Africa, and Mexico to name a few. I haven't been yet and want to travel to Australia, Japan and China. Oh yes, I have traveled to every state in the US except Hawaii, which I will go someday too.

45. My guilty pleasure is watching dancing with the stars. Would secretly love to dance on that show someday.

46. I almost drowned when I was younger when I fell off a peer, I learned from my dad that I was face down and all he could see was my diaper floating.

47. I had a dog when I was younger named Trixie.

48. Chocolate turtles are my favorite sinful pleasure treat.

49. I am a Social media addict (nothing new).

50. I am the youngest girl of three with a younger brother.

There you have it. That is a small glimpse into my world. Now back to the regularly scheduled programming.

No comments: