Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Ironman Training: Mid-month struggle

I have to admit, this whole ironman training thing has been quite a struggle.

Here's the timeline... In January, it was trying to get started. phew. In February, it was trying to eat right, still working on that one. In March, it was, now I'd better get running and slacked in swim and bike, geesh. Now in April, I had a really good two weeks, working on consistent swim and bike, but this week, it's hard to even get out of bed in the mornings.

Part of it is I look in the mirror, or weigh myself, and I've not lost weight but gained weight. That starts a whole mental game with me.

It was inspiring to see all of my friends get ready and participate in the Boston marathon.  That felt good, but in no way got me out the door. Instead, I laid down early and read a book, fell asleep several times, woke up again with that pulled muscle in my right groin pain, because I moved my leg wrong. Then read some more, and did a repeat of that all night. Finally, when I woke at 2 a.m. I said, I am not getting up at 3 to swim so I deleted  my alarms and left my yoga wake alarm.

Luckily, this morning I got up and did Yoga. Ran into a fellow yogi and she said, "Keep going".   That's the word of advise I actually needed. I'll get myself out to do a spin and possibly even a run.

We'll see where this journey takes us, they say, "It isn't the finish line, it's experiencing the journey."

But, I tell you, it's been a roller-coaster so far.

No comments: