Saturday, June 18, 2016

Grandma's Marathon 2016 #‎crazyrunninggirl‬ ‪#‎crazyrunninggal‬ ‪#‎toughrunning‬

I arrived ready, energetic and taking it moment by moment. I met so many wonderful people this time around. 
  • Lady who started running in her 40's, now 70, this is her 16th marathon. She always puts $26.20 money in envelopes, 16 total for family members who come to cheer her on.   This time around she gave away 3.
  • She suggested I read "Mental Edge" to get through my mental angst as I train for the ironman.  On my list.
  • I met Celia Hubbartt who I ran with the first 4 miles at a 12 minute per mile pace.  She ran her first marathon in Berlin and plans to run the Great Wall of China marathon and another one out of the country.  This was her first Grandma's.
  • On the bus back to the hotel, I met 3 people, 2 who participated in the Ironman and they gave me some really great tips.
    • Pedicare every 5 miles on the bike
    • Eat and replenish as much as possible in the beginning portion of the ironman.
    • Bike bike and more bike. More miles on the bike the better.
    • Reduce the swimming, swim some, bike more, and run.
    • Run more.
    • Practice swimming in open water, to get comfortable in the lake.
    • Take broth during the run when or if I feel gassy on the run.
    • He suggested stick to a good training plan, start now. (I didn't get the name of the book or author when talking)
    • Be flexible during the race. Even when the best plan is in place, your body will react in ways you can't plan.
    • The ironman is a very emotional race. Take it all in.


One can only dream and have goals then the goal becomes reality. I always wanted to run Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, Inc. and here I am, June 2016 and I finished.

It turned out to be a race walk, I had Muscle Cramps starting mile 14. And could only run for a minute before they cramped up again. It was slow going, didn't come in until 5:23.

The heat index was extreme and I had to walk, running a minute and then walk because of muscle cramping. At least I finished though.

Digging my new grandma 40th socks. Here's my medal! Got her done. ‪#‎crazyrunninggirl‬ ‪#‎crazyrunninggal‬ ‪#‎tough running‬

This is my 9th marathon, 5th state.  I am proud to keep these goals on the table. The journey is always going, the experience is always new and the friendships I gain are for a lifetime.

No comments: