Thursday, June 30, 2016

Ironman Training: I run because...

I have to say, this ironman training experience has not been easy. I’ve run into diet obstacles, been confronted with too many people giving me schedules that just didn’t fit, or didn’t get the support I expected, doing this thing solo is hard. One thing is for sure. I’m rediscovering my purpose, why I run to begin with. It is a simple matter, the most basic principle. I started running in high school, this is 35 years ago. I'd get up, put my shoes on, and go outside to run. 

I would run for the shear joy of it. 

Lately, I’ve been back at it. It took me a while to get my mojo back.  I run today, on the trail. It is nature to the core, a simple sound of a bird chirping early morning or wild animals scampering underfoot. 

I wake up early, drive to my normal spot, (my head isn’t always in it). And I get out and start to jog. 

Step by step. 
My cadence begins.
I’m there. 
Running. 

I truly enjoy being outside in the fresh air.
Running outdoors, in tune with my body. 

No music.
No computer strapped to my arm.
It’s just me and my running shoes.

No comments: