Saturday, December 17, 2016

Ironman Training: Lessons learned for now

I have been on the journey, once again, to train for the Ironman Wisconsin. This time I'm a little wiser and smarter, but still have lots to learn. I went through previous posts from last years run of training, and it was a good one. 

Here are my lessons learned this month, I learned that ….
  1. I need to eat different now that I’m in my 50’s.
  2. Once I signed up for the master swim class, I’m more likely to go to the pool and swim. and once I’m there, I enjoy the instruction and learning. I feel stronger when done.
  3. It's okay if I run slow, I am doing it and completing what I set out to do.
  4. I am very hard on myself, but that’s what makes me a competitive athlete.  there is nothing wrong or right about it, that is just the way I am made up.
  5. It’s okay if I don’t make the promises I keep, I need to listen to my body more and make sure I’m getting the rest I need.
  6. I need to record everything to keep myself accountable, this includes: my eating, my water intake, my workouts, how I feel before, during and after, and what I am learning.
  7. Baby steps... I can set out to do something small, in smaller durations; like, run 10 minutes on the treadmill. That is something, better than nothing.
  8. I am getting stronger running, just by running a little bit or walking a little bit each day.
  9. If I setup a weekly walking day or biking plans with my friends, I gain bigger benefits. I get my workout in AND I get to chat with my friend during the time we workout. I learn so much and look forward to it. It’s a treat!!
  10. I can do it all. It all is working.
  11. I need to have a coach, that is all.
  12. I need to stick with the schedule and not let my head get in the way of doing.
  13. I need to keep myself accountable, and surround myself with friends who support me and listen. At first its moment-by-moment and then daily and once the habit is formed less.
Here are last years previous posts:

No comments: