Thursday, March 2, 2017

IMWI2017 March 2017 - Lessons Learned

Here are my lessons learned this month, I learned that ….
  1. "In order to heal others, we first need to heal ourselves. And to heal ourselves, we need to know how to deal with ourselves ." Thich Nhat Hanh” 
  2. That’s it in a nutshell for me, lots of learning about myself again this month especially when it comes to the ironman training.
  3. The anxiety I start to feel when I start swimming fast is just adrenaline. Push through it with my strength and kick.
  4. My friends are amazing support, keep open to their support and advice, don’t resist it.
  5. There’s a big difference in bikes. A triathlon bike will allow you to use different muscles to save your running muscles in the next event. 
  6. If anyone ever told you Ironman training is nothing, you’ve heard it wrong. 
  7. Ironman training gives a person the ability to really SEE THEMSELVES and how they deal with things under pressure.  
  8. Even though I feel that adrenaline rush swimming fast in the water... I can pull through this with my arm strength and kicking. This is new to me because I typically go slow or slow down because I SIKE myself out” given I have high expectations of myself.
  9. I can do this and am becoming stronger each day, just keep at it daily.
  10. Drinking water is key.
  11. Nutrition, it is important to practice nutrition on the bike, run.
  12. Hydrate some more!
  13. Get with cyclist groups to ride long bike rides on the weekends.
  14. Stay consistent and be stronger in each: 🏊🚴🏻 🏃
  15. Things will be hard, push through it.
  16. I need to care about me and say when to rest or stop.
  17. Once I make the decision that I will NOT FAIL, my heart and body will follow this… I can see this in my swimming, now on to bike and run.
  18. I am learning so much about who I am, how I respond, and how I act (do) in training.
  19. I am definitely hard on myself. And have gained lots of coaching from my walking friend about letting go.  Because when I set expectations to achieve the end results, as she has seen time and time again with Type “A” people, that it impedes them from moving forward and improving.  For example: I’ve been swimming and improving my short distance times significantly.  And last weekend, Saturday, we did a long 1 hour swim and they coaches recorded splits. I came in at 2:10 average, which isn’t my 1:47 fastest short distance time for a 100.  Of course looking at my daughters times when she was a USS swimmer is painful, because she would come in at :59 which obviously I cannot compare because she was swimming since she was 3 and I’m starting out at 51.
  20. Everyone makes mistakes, it’s how you respond to those mistakes that matters. 
  21. Follow your heart and you will always see the nice side of others first. 
  22. Forgive yourself for the mistakes you made in the past and remember to forgive others, no matter how small or big of a mistake that was made. 
  23. Always explore new options that are presented to you and open your heart to advice for growth. 
  24. Always be yourself, and don't allow others to alter who you are for what you represent.

That is all...

2 comments:

Jilly Whiting said...

well,,,, you CAN over-hydrate! Be careful!

daun musch said...

You continue to amaze and inspire me. Listen to your body and not your internal talk... you are doing such great things with your life!