Monday, June 5, 2017

Our Deepest Fears: Swimming is the Monster

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.”  Nelson Mandela. This quote sums it up for me. I think we create fear from inside, tell ourselves stories, work ourselves up, make it almost become something true, and then it happens. 

This past weekend I swam my second OWS of the year, 2017. It's not that I haven't completed triathlons swimming in open water before, I have done many through my years. My first OWS was in Lake Michigan when I was 21, and of course, that was years ago. 

This year 'water' has been my demon. 

This second swim in the lake, I promised myself that I would swim freestyle, use the breathing techniques I learned this past week in master swim, and be in the moment.... each breath, each stroke, each time I look up (each sight). 

I promised to take it easy. 

The water wasn't cold, probably 68 degrees. I say to myself, 'I can do this'. My division heat was up, and I hovered in the back. I got in the water and started to swim. Got to the first cone, then turned the corner, continued doing a few strokes then sighted. Halfway through the swim, second cone, I felt a strap hitting my face. I stopped, then my goggles fell off. I had to  handle that incident, once again, in the moment, and not panic. Just stopped, put on the goggles and continued forward. I swam as far as I could without standing. Saw the beach, stood then ran in. I did it.

I think we create fear because we are creating another intention that isn't there. 

I plan to sign up for the ALS, which is an organization that raises funds by swimming crazy distances and challenges across the world, the acronym is A Long Swim. I will use ALS as a practice swim for my Ironman training. I will swim a full 2.4 miles in Lake Michigan with a group of experienced swimmers. Who, by the way, swim over 24 miles and one person even swam across the English Channel. They do crazy things like that.... :D 

Anyway, I can do this. I can swim an OWS 2.4 miles.

No comments: